The Elders LOVE Comments!

Both of the Elders have asked me to send them the comments people leave on this blog after reading their e-mails and looking at their pictures... One problem... No one comments! Leave the Elders some comments each week after you read their e-mails and check out their pictures! They'll love hearing from ALL of you! Thanks!

Monday, October 18, 2010

From Elder A. Goff - "Another week of another transfer"

Hey everyone,
So, this week has been pretty good. Heavenly Father has been helping us out a ton! We ended the week with 27 people we had taught. It was incredible. We stayed pretty busy all week.

We went to teach Jason Allen this week. He is 17 and really wants to learn. His family isn't really interested in the gospel, but Jason is. Last time we were over there we asked him about baptism. He said, "Well I was baptized when I was a baby, but I don't think that counts. I didn't make that decision. Someone else made it for me." We then talked about how infants can’t sin. How there is no such thing as original sin. We will be punished for our own sins and not for Adam's transgression. We asked him how he felt about the Book of Mormon. He said, "It makes sense to me. I never understood why God would talk to only one group of people." We asked him to really read and pray. He did and the next time we went over, which was Thursday we asked him how he felt about the things we have taught him. He said he really liked what we taught and feels like the Book of Mormon is true. So, we extended the baptismal commitment. He accepted and has a date to be baptized on November 6th. We were really excited. We still are actually. He is a way neat kid. Hopefully it all works out.

We had a goal set to set a date with Ann Martinsen as well. That didn't work out. We still don't know what is holding her back. We went over the baptismal interview questions, and asked if there was anything in there she was struggling with. She said no. So, then we invited her to an 8 year old baptism. Kent and Ann Martinsen came. (Kent is a member) She enjoyed it. Came to church on Sunday. She is Golden, but there is something holding her back.

We got a call from brother Trombley on like Thursday and asked if we would each speak for a few minutes on whatever we wanted. Elder House chose to speak on the scriptures, which worked out great because that's what the youth speaker right before him spoke on. I spoke on finding happiness amidst all of the hard things that happen in life. Happiness can continue to be with us as long as we live the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Men are that they might have Joy. God wants us to be happy. Happiness only comes by doing what we know we need to. Happiness will never come by doing things we know we shouldn't be doing. Long lasting happiness comes through Jesus Christ. There is a scripture that I read in personal study that was an answer to my prayers. I had been praying to know what to speak on, and as soon as I read it I knew what I needed to speak on. Its right after Captain Moroni was introduced as chief captain of all the armies of the nephites at age 25. They go to battle with the lamanites. Through Moroni seeking the guidance of Alma the Prophet they end up surrounding the Lamanites on every side. Moroni stops the slaughter that is taking place to give them an option. Moroni tells Zerihemnah to give up his weapons and swear an oath that they will never come up to battle against the Nephites again. Zerihemnah decides to give Moroni his weapons, but tells him he will not make an oath he knew he would break. So, basically Moroni gives him his weapons back and says, alright let’s do this thing. This Scripture comes from when Moroni explains why the Lamanites have fallen into the hand of the nephites. It says:

Now ye see that this is the true faith of God; yea, ye see that God will support, and keep, and preserve us, so long as we are faithful unto him, and unto our faith, and our religion; and never will the Lord suffer that we shall be destroyed except we should fall into transgression and deny our faith.

And now, Zerahemnah, I command you, in the name of that all-powerful God, who has strengthened our arms that we have gained power over you, by our faith, by our religion, and by our rites of worship, and by our church, and by the sacred support which we owe to our wives and our children, by that liberty which binds us to our lands and our country; yea, and also by the maintenance of the sacred word of God, to which we owe all our happiness; and by all that is most dear unto us— Alma 44:4-5

We owe all that makes us happy to God. That’s why it is so important that we pray and thank him for our many blessings.

I have been sick the last couple of days too. It's been miserable. I have never had a Sinus cold before now. I usually only get regular colds. This one hurts a lot more haha. The sinus cold makes my eyes, ears and teeth all hurt. Two nights ago I couldn't even sleep. But last night I took one of the sleeping pills I had from when I was in Helena and I slept a lot better last night. I think I might be getting better now.

Also, Elder House and I will be driving to Billings today. We have a meeting in Helena on Tuesday with Elder Packer of the 70. It will be the Zone Leader council. It should be pretty cool. I doubt I will have time to go anywhere to say hi to people in Helena. We will be in the big van. If we had our own car we would go see Jim and the Mangums and about 1,000 other people if we had time. :) Kinda a bummer we will be in my old area and have no time to see anyone. Maybe someday when I graduate from being a missionary I'll go back and see everyone. :)

Thanks for all of the e-mails. I love getting them from you guys. Joli cracks me up, and Pops too. He even called Sawyer and I a pain in the Ass because of Garrett. We were way worse apparently. I got a good laugh out of that. I'm glad everyone had a good time in Bunkerville. Elder House and I are loving Worland. Thanks for the pictures too Tiff. I love you all. Hope all is well.

Love, Elder Austin Gene Goff

Current Area: Worland, Wyoming
Current Companion: Elder House

No comments: